Diploma Courses in the UK: The United Kingdom is a prime destination for international students seeking top-class education from leading British universities. The range of courses in the UK varies from short 1-year diploma programs to 5-year integrated programs at both, graduate and postgraduate levels.
Diploma courses have become a popular choice for international students in the UK seeking to attain a specialized qualification in a specific field in a shorter span of time. This article will talk about the best diploma programs in the UK for Indian students and the various eligibility criteria and application processes.
What are Diploma Programs in the UK?
A diploma course in the UK is a relatively shorter and usually technical program offered at British universities that help you gain a degree from the UK without investing a lot of time and resources.
Diploma courses will generally involve theoretical learning, along with a lot of work experience. The duration for these courses will range from 11 months to 2 years, depending on the course and the university.
These courses tend to have a lesser tuition fee and shorter duration, meaning that you’ll be paying less for studying for a diploma in the UK than in an undergraduate or postgraduate program. The cost of a diploma in the UK would range from 13,000 to 26,000 GBP in tuition fees depending on the course and university you’re studying at.
Tuition fees and living expenses are important factors to consider while making a decision to study in the UK. Read our detailed blog about the Cost of studying in the UK for Indian students
Diploma in the UK After 10th
A diploma-level course in the UK can be pursued after completing your secondary education in India. A number of universities offer courses to Indian students to prepare them for their higher education in the UK after they’ve completed their 10th-grade education.
When opting for a foundation year program at a UK University, you will be prepared for your undergraduate education in the UK beforehand and can pursue your class 12th education simultaneously at your future University in the UK.
Here are Some Leading Universities that Offer Such Programs to Indian Students:
- Birmingham University
- University of Hertfordshire
- Robert Gorden University
- Portsmouth University
- Leicester University
- Brunel University
- Swansea University
- Plymouth University
- Coventry University
- Kingston University
Requirements for Diploma in the UK After 10th
- As for any diploma or higher-level program in a British University, all students must qualify for a language exam that is accepted by the University. This will be IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE.
- Students must have a secondary education mark sheet obtained from a state board or central board with at least 65% marks or above.
Diploma Courses in the UK After 12th
Students looking for short-term programs in the UK after 12th often go for diploma-level programs that help with improving employability, career prospects, and a chance to get into higher education institutes in the UK in a short time span.
These programs are available to Indian students at various leading British universities. Here is a list of leading universities with strong diploma programs.
|S.NO||Diploma Courses in the UK after 12th||University|
||Screenwriting Diploma||London Film Academy|
|2.||Diploma in Maritime Shipping||Shipping College|
|3.||HND in Accounting and Finance||Regent College London|
|4.||Foundation Diploma in Arts & Design||Cambridge School of Visual Arts & Performing Arts|
HND in Business
HND in Entrepreneurship and Business Management
|Regent College London|
|6.||Diploma in Business and Management||London School of Planning and Management|
|7.||Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Diploma||Harley Oxford|
|8.||Diploma in Health and Social Care||London School of International Business|
|9.||Diploma in Accounting and Finance||University of Bolton|
|10.||Executive Diploma in Mediation||International Career Institute|
Credits: aecc global
Requirements for Diploma in the UK After 12th
- To pursue a diploma-level program in the UK after the 12th, you will be required to prove your language proficiency by appearing for a language test, i.e IELTS/TOEFL/PTE, etc.
- You are required to have your transcripts of secondary and senior secondary education from your state or central education board in India.
- While UG programs have a minimum percentage requirement, this is not required for diploma-level courses in the UK barring a few technical courses.
PG level Diploma Programs in the UK
Post Graduate Diploma programs are the most popular diploma programs among international students going for higher education in the UK. While a PGDip program will not hold the same weight as a complete Master’s, it has its own advantages.
A PG Diploma in the UK Will Benefit You in the Following Ways-
- You can obtain a post-graduate level qualification from a leading university in the UK without having to make the financial and time commitments that come with a masters level program
- These programs can help you improve your employability and improve your career prospects
- They will set you on the right path for higher education in your field with specialized knowledge of a subject and prospects of completing a Ph.D. and other doctoral programs.
Different exams are required for admission to various programs in the UK. Read more about the Exams required to study in the UK for Indian students.
Requirements for a PG Diploma Program in the UK
- Like other degree programs in the UK, international students will be required to appear for an IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, or any other equivalent language test to prove their language proficiency and ability to study a course instructed in the English language.
- For PG-level diploma programs in the UK, a candidate must appear for the relevant standardized tests with a good score. For example, a GRE and GMAT exam will be required to enroll in a PG-level diploma program in business management.
- When applying to a PG level diploma program, you will also be required to have an existing 3 or 4-year bachelor’s qualification from a recognized university and have a percentage higher than the requirement of the university you’re applying to
Best Universities Offering PGdips for Indian Students
- Brunel University
- University of Glasgow
- Keele University
- University of Bath
- University of York
- Manchester Metropolitan University
- Essex University
Visa Requirements for Diploma Course
You can apply for a student visa to study for a diploma in the UK if you’re 16 or over and you:
- have been offered a place on a course by a licensed student sponsor
- have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course – the amount will vary depending on your circumstances
- can speak, read, write and understand English
- have consent from your parents if you’re 16 or 17 – (you’ll need evidence of this when you apply)
The visa application for a student visa will cost you £363 to apply from outside the UK.
You can apply for a visa to study diploma in the UK for a maximum of 6 months before the course starts. The UK government will make a decision on your request within 3 weeks of the application.
A diploma-level course in the UK will help you improve your career prospects as well as gain much from the experience of studying at a leading British University with world-class faculty and a study-oriented environment.
While looking for a diploma in the UK options yourself, you may feel confused and doubtful about many aspects of studying in the UK. This is where we lend a helping hand. You may speak to our expert study in UK counselors today by booking a free one-to-one counseling session.
CampusTrail helps students shortlist the best universities based on your profile, helps you apply, secure scholarships and loans, find accommodation, and even connects you to existing students in the UK. Enquire today to know more!